Police have made an arrest in connection with the Strovolos double murder, with authorities describing this development as a step closer to solving the case.
(Click here for an update to the story)
A 33-year-old Greek Cypriot man was taken into custody Wednesday evening and will appear in court Thursday for his remand hearing.
Investigators have evidence that place him at the crime scene, inside the residence on Zalongou Street in Strovolos, Nicosia. However, the timing of the man's presence in the house was not clear and there are doubts that he might have been inside the house at the time of the murders. Police stopped short of saying he was the perpetrator of the crime, but according to unconfirmed reports, the man had some connection with the murdered couple.
Police stopped short of saying he was the perpetrator, but reports say the man had some connection with the murdered couple
The victims, 60-year-old teacher Yiorgos Hadjigeorgiou and his 59-year-old wife Dina Sergiou were found savagely stabbed to death in the bedroom of their own house almost one week ago in Strovolos, Nicosia. In the past, the couple had reported two burglaries according to reports.
Police spokesman Andreas Angelides, who said the arrest is a positive step in solving the case, told the press Wednesday evening that the man in custody had a criminal past and they have hard evidence placing him inside the residence at some point.
Investigators also received witness tips saying the man was seen in thea area the night of the crime, but this could not be iconfirmed.
The suspect, who reportedly had run-ins with police in connection to burglaries and illegal drug use, is expected to remain in custody with police trying to sift through witness accounts and over 90 statements in total.
The teenage son of the murdered couple is also expected to give a written statement to police, after delays and technicalities pushed the deposition back until after the funeral, which took place on Tuesday.
A female reportedly is wanted by police on the basis of her connection to the man in custody.
Private forensic pathologist Marios Matsakis, who represents the victims' family and their teenage son, told the media he believes the boy is not involved in the urder of his parents.
"The young man is telling the truth," Matsakis said, referring to an initial statement the boy made to police that two masked men entered the house. The forensic pathologist believes the murder was essentially a burglary gone very wrong.
Last week, reports in the media that there were no signs of forced entry clashed with the boy's assertions about a burglary. Police have asked the public and media outlets to be careful in their public comments, with the police chief telling a journalist on live radio that people make their own judgement but police remain focused on their work.