The Health Insurance Organization, the body responsible for the implementation of the Cyprus General Healthcare System announced that as of today citizens who have reached the age of 15 are able to register with the GHS and indicate their private doctor.
Registration for children is set to begin Monday, May 6, 2019.
The GHS launches on June 1st and beneficiaries need to register in order to receive health care services.
Speaking to Kathimerini, director of the Health Insurance Organization Andreas Papakonstantinou, said that today "we are reaching the last step before the implementation of the General Healthcare System that will start on June 1, 2019". He noted that the registration lists for the beneficiaries would never be closed and would be constantly open.
"So, it is still up to citizens to register at any time, but it is preferable for the beneficiaries to do so directly and choose their own doctor because there is a limit on the number of patients a doctor can take on. He added that "if any problem with the IT system arises, HIO officers will be ready to solve it."
According to the legislation beneficiaries of the GHS are all citizens who legally reside in the areas controlled by the Republic and fall into one of the following categories:
• All Cypriot citizens irrespective of their age who reside in the Republic of Cyprus
• Citizens of the European Union who work or have a permanent residence permit
• Third-country nationals who have their residence in the areas controlled by the Republic of Cyprus and are entitled to equal treatment in the social security sector or have a permanent residence permit in accordance with the provisions of national law
• The dependent children of the above-mentioned beneficiaries
• Refugees and persons with subsidiary protection status who have their residence in areas controlled by the Republic and are recognized refugees or persons with subsidiary protection status under the Refugees Act
The public can register at https://www.gesy.org.cy/ . Kathimerini reports that 51,000 people have already registered and that the overwhelming interest has caused the website to crash. The Health Insurance Organization is now advising the public to visit the website https://portal.gesy.org.cy or https://registration.gesy.org.cy/#/registration?lang=el .