CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
01 June, 2020
 
Home  /  News

Second COVID-19 case reportedly the head of Nicosia General Hospital unit

The Health Ministry has already began attempts to trace the medical practitioner's contacts

Newsroom

Following the announcement of the island’s first two confirmed coronavirus cases, the Health Ministry said it had on Monday night began tracing the contacts of the 64-year-old medical practitioner.

(Click here for an update to the story)

The 64-year-old, along with a 25-year-old in Limassol, had tested positive for coronavirus on Monday.

Reports have emerged that the 64-year-old may be the head of a Nicosia General Hospital unit.

Upon his return to the island from the UK on March 3, the 64-year-old medical practitioner continued working and only reported his symptoms to the Health Services on Sunday. Fears have spread over the possible infection of his patients.

According to the Health Ministry, due to the distress caused among the public after news emerged that one of the confirmed cases was a medical practitioner, it has begun, with the help of the 64-year-old, scouring for all persons he had come in contact with, including patients, co-workers, or from his family environment.

All possible contacts will be checked and ordered to remain quarantined.

Regarding the 25-year-old who also tested positive for the virus, Health Minsiter Constantinos Ioannou said in a press conference earlier on Monday that the Health Ministry is not worried about any possible trasmittion of the virus as the man had followed advice by hospital medical staff to remain quarantined for two weeks.

News: Latest Articles

X