CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
22 May, 2026
 
Home  /  News

Bullet wound killed 77-year-old found in burned car in Liopetri

British Bases identify victim as Antonis Spetsiotis from Xylofagou as investigation into the shocking case continues.

Newsroom

Authorities have confirmed the identity of the man whose charred body was found inside a burned vehicle in Liopetri earlier this month, in a case that continues to raise serious questions.

According to the British Sovereign Base Areas Police, the victim was identified as Antonis Spetsiotis, a 77-year-old man from Xylofagou.

In an official statement released Friday, authorities said the cause of death was a gunshot wound.

Investigators are still trying to piece together exactly what happened and under what circumstances the elderly man ended up dead inside the burned-out vehicle.

Officials said examinations are continuing and no further details are being released at this stage.

The case has shocked many people in the area, not only because of the violent nature of the death, but also because incidents like this remain relatively rare in Cyprus, particularly involving elderly victims.

Residents in nearby communities have been following developments closely as police continue gathering evidence and trying to establish a timeline of events.

The burned vehicle was discovered on May 11 in the Liopetri area, triggering an immediate investigation by British base authorities. Early on, the condition of the body made identification difficult, while forensic teams worked to determine both the victim’s identity and the cause of death. Friday’s confirmation marks the first major breakthrough in the case, though many questions remain unanswered.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  crime  |  arson

News: Latest Articles

X