A case involving the sexual harassment of a 32-year-old woman by a local politician will be referred to a Cyprus court next week as per the recommendation of the Attorney General.
The politician is facing the charge of indecent assault, police spokesman Christos Andreou said Friday. Reports said the case is understood to involve a former MEP.
“It was a case that was investigated and then sent to the Law Office, which on Wednesday gave instructions that charges are filed in court,” Andreou said.
According to the complaint filed by the 32-year-old with police on February 11, the incident occurred in 2014, when the then-26-year-old woman arranged to meet with the man who said he could help her find employment. Though initially arranging to meet in an outdoor space, the man suggested the two continue their conversation in his home, where the woman said he moved to sexual harass her.
Despite the significance of the case being referred to court, the incident appears to have taken place abroad, which may lead to legal obstacles.
The politician, who provided police with a statement earlier this month, has reportedly denied the woman’s claim.