CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
13 June, 2024
 

There's no stifling the Cypriot's wanderlust

Cypriots embrace global adventures and island escapes

Newsroom

Are you ready to embark on a journey with the spirited travelers of Cyprus? Hold on to your hats as we delve into the adventurous spirit of Cypriots and their passion for exploration!

In 2022, Cypriots spread their wings and took flight, with spending on trips abroad soaring to a whopping €1.39 billion. After a year still marked by COVID-19 restrictions, leisure and recreation trips bounced back, drawing in eager travelers seeking new horizons.

According to the latest Cystat survey, the number of outbound trips skyrocketed to 1,234,615, marking an incredible 162.1% increase from the previous year. It seems like Cypriots couldn't wait to pack their bags and hit the road!

A staggering 86.4% of these journeys were purely for personal pleasure, whether it was soaking up the sun on exotic beaches, reuniting with loved ones, or embarking on a soul-searching pilgrimage. The remaining 13.6% were for professional endeavors, proving that even business trips can't dampen the adventurous spirit of Cypriots.

But the fun doesn't stop there! While international travel stole the spotlight, local adventures also had their share of enthusiasts. Although the number of island getaways dipped slightly by 9.7%, Cypriots still embraced the beauty of their homeland with 1,689,154 trips in 2022.

When it comes to spending, Cypriots spare no expense in making their travel dreams a reality. Expenditure for outbound trips surged to €1,394.5 million, marking a remarkable 185.2% increase compared to the previous year. From flights to accommodations, every aspect of the journey is meticulously planned to ensure an unforgettable experience.

Transportation took the lion's share of the budget, accounting for 34.3% of total expenditure. After all, getting there is half the adventure! Meanwhile, local explorers indulged in the culinary delights of their homeland, with food and drinks in cafes and restaurants making up 39.1% of total expenditure, closely followed by accommodations at 32.9%.

So, whether you're craving the thrill of international escapades or seeking solace in the serene landscapes of Cyprus, one thing is for sure – the spirit of wanderlust runs deep in the hearts of Cypriots, and the world is their playground!

[With information from CNA]

TAGS
Cyprus  |  travel

Business: Latest Articles

X