CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
04 June, 2020
 
Home  /  News

Second Paphos private hospital to limit operations after Covid-19 confirmation

A doctor at the Evangelismos hospital tested positive for the virus, as had happened with a doctor at the Iasis hospital on Thursday

Newsroom

The Evangelismos private hospital in Paphos became the second private hospital in the city on the southwest coast to limit its operations after a doctor working there tested positive for coronavirus on Friday.

After the island’s coronavirus outbreak saw medical staff on the front lines increasingly contracting the virus, a Decree issued by Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou on March 19 ordered that in view of the suspended operations of the outpatient services of the Paphos General Hospital, patients in Paphos should refer to the private sector hospitals Evangelismos and Blue Cross Medical Centre.

But with the Evangelismos doctor testing positive for the virus, the hospital’s Director, Dr Nestoras Michael, said that all necessary efforts have been exerted to keep the hospital in operation, but noted that the hospital’s outpatient services have been suspended until Monday.

The A&E department remains open but new admissions are suspended except in life-threatening situations.

He added that the Obstetrics department would remain in operation and will be isolated from the rest of the hospital, as the doctor had not had contact with the specific department.

Meanwhile, Michael said all areas of the private hospital have been disinfected, including surgery rooms, the ground floor and the lab.

Samples have already been taken from the doctor’s contacts, with results expected on Saturday.

Iasis private hospital in Paphos also hit by virus on Thursday

The Iasis private hospital was also on alert on Thursday after a doctor tested positive for coronavirus.

On Friday, the hospital issued an announcement stating that it would fully resume operations on Saturday, a move that has already been given the green light by the Health Minister, after the bulk of the hospital’s staff tested negative for the virus and the premises disinfected.

Paphos General Hospital remains closed, more staff and patients infected

Efforts continued on Friday to take samples from the bulk of the Paphos General Hospital staff, some 680 workers, to determine how widely coronavirus has afflicted the hospital which has so far seen several confirmed cases including doctors, nurses, other staff, and patients.

Serious problems emerged at the Paphos General haemodialysis department after one of the department’s 18 nurses tested positive for the virus on Thursday.

All three doctors and one third of the nurses of the department have been placed in isolation, with the head of the department, Lakis Yiukas, issuing a call for a private doctor to step in as a substitute so that the department can maintain operations.

The Paphos General also suspended the operation of its Accident and Emergency Department for 72 hours, allowing only special arrangements to be made for haematological and oncological cases, dialysis and thalassemia patients.

 

A new coronavirus information line has been set up at 1412 in addition to the established line 1450.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  paphos  |  hospital  |  coronavirus  |  health

News: Latest Articles

X