A young man in Paphos was seriously injured in explosion in a company basement Wednesday morning, with reports saying doctors could be attempting to reattach his fingers.
According to the Cyprus News Agency, a 21-year-old worker at an electrical repair shop was attempting to transfer oxygen from a large tank to a smaller one, when an explosion took place.
Following the blast, which took place in the basement of the company, the young Greek Cypriot employee suffered a catastrophic injury on one hand, with additional reports saying all five fingers came off.
The patient was then transferred to a private clinic in Limassol for further treatment. With local media saying doctors were reportedly making an attempt to replant fingers
He was rushed to the Emergency Room at Paphos General Hospital, where doctors determined he needed specialized emergency surgery.
The patient was then transferred to a private clinic in Limassol for further treatment. With local media saying doctors were reportedly making an attempt to replant fingers.
Additional reports said preliminary findings suggested the explosion could have been caused either by a faulty valve or too much high pressure in the small bottle during the transfer.
Labor Office inspectors and police officers visited the shop after the accident, along with officials from the Electrical and Mechanical Department, with the Cyprus News Agency reporting that the accident appeared to have been caused by high pressure.
Paphos officials investigate explosion in company’s basement following oxygen cylinder accident, young man undergoes emergency surgery to reattach fingers