The health ministry announced four coronavirus fatalities and 207 new cases on Friday.
Three of Friday’s deaths were announced earlier in the day, when the health ministry said that one woman and two men, aged 54, 85 and 72, all with underlying health conditions, died as a result of their coronavirus infection.
The fourth coronavirus fatality on Friday involved an 80-year-old man, whose death was fully attributed to the virus despite suffering from pre-existing health problems.
Total coronavirus fatalities recorded in the Republic of Cyprus increased to 38, involving 24 men and 14 women of an average age of 75 years.
Over the past 24 hours, 207 new coronavirus cases were detected, all of which involved locals, as the health ministry said that the lab that processes samples collected from arrivals at Cyprus airports had yet to report results.
According to the health ministry, over half of Friday’s 207 new cases, which emerged after 3,088 tests, involved Limassol district residents.
Specifically, 73 new cases involved contacts, 100 involved people who took the initiative to get tested, 10 were tested at general hospitals, 21 were either part of special health groups or were referred for testing by their GP, two were detected through the program targeting school staff and students, and one was found among samples collected through the ongoing program undertaken by the Cyprus football association.
Total cases detected in the Republic of Cyprus increased to 6,853.
The Famagusta general hospital is currently treating 42 coronavirus cases, of which five are in the ICU. Eight more are receiving treatment at the Nicosia general hospital ICU, of which just two are not intubated. Nine more are receiving treatment at the hospital’s coronavirus ward.