Newsroom
A recent power outage in the Engomi area was caused by human error, according to the Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC), which said a contractor accidentally damaged an underground cable during works in the area.
Electricity Authority of Cyprus Deputy Spokesperson Giorgos Stamatopoulos told SPORT FM 95 that the contractor struck a medium-voltage cable, leading to the blackout.
He said such faults are usually repaired within about two hours once identified, with crews quickly dispatched to restore power.
The outage affected parts of Engomi earlier in the day, briefly leaving households and businesses without electricity before supply was restored.
Beyond the incident, the EAC is also preparing a broader crackdown on illegal or unauthorized solar systems across Cyprus.
Stamatopoulos said inspections will begin on June 1, in coordination with the distribution system operator, as authorities step up efforts to check photovoltaic installations island-wide.
He said more than 100 cases have already been identified, including installations in private homes and larger solar parks operating with either no approval or more capacity than allowed.
Officials say the goal is to ensure safety and fairness in the rapidly growing solar energy market, where demand for rooftop panels and renewable energy systems has surged in recent years as Cypriots try to cut electricity bills.
The inspections are expected to be targeted rather than random, focusing on suspected irregularities first, with further checks to follow depending on findings.




























