CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
05 April, 2025
 
Home  /  News

Trump unveils $5M ‘Trump Card’ for citizenship. Is it right out of the Cyprus playbook?

Meanwhile, 1,100 ‘Hands Off!’ protests planned across all 50 states over cuts to public services.

Newsroom

In classic Trump fashion, the president made headlines yet again—this time mid-air aboard Air Force One—by unveiling a new “Trump Card” aimed at wealthy foreign investors. The card, featuring his face in bold gold, promises U.S. citizenship for a cool $5 million (around €4.76 million), replacing the long-standing EB-5 investor visa program.

“For $5 million, this could be yours,” Trump said with a grin. “Very exciting, right?”

The announcement marks a major shift in U.S. immigration policy and sets the stage for what Trump and his administration are pitching as a streamlined, high-end path to permanent residency. The plan is to scrap the EB-5 visa program, which has existed since 1990 and offered a green card to foreign nationals who invested about $1 million and created at least 10 jobs in the U.S.

Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick described the new “Trump Card” as similar to a green card, but solely reserved for those willing to write a massive check. He claimed the higher price tag will “eliminate the fraud and nonsense” that plagued the existing program.

“For $5 million, this could be yours,” Trump said with a grin. “Very exciting, right?”

“This isn’t just for any investor. We’re talking about the rich, the successful—the ones who’ll pay taxes, create jobs, and spend big,” Trump added.

Meanwhile, back on the ground…

As Trump soars high with new plans for elite-friendly immigration, things are heating up across America. More than 1,100 protests are planned nationwide under the banner “Hands Off!”—a response to massive federal job cuts orchestrated by Trump adviser and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

A coalition of over 150 organizations, including Planned Parenthood, ACLU, Greenpeace, and the Service Employees International Union, will take to the streets this Saturday. Their message? Keep your hands off our public services.

“Donald Trump and Elon Musk think this country belongs to them,” protest organizers wrote on their website. “They’re taking everything they can get their hands on and daring the world to stop them.”

The demonstrations are in response to what critics describe as attacks on Social Security, healthcare, education, and workers’ rights—all in the name of balancing the budget.

“The country is going bankrupt,” Musk said in a recent interview with Fox News Business. “If a country overspends, it will collapse. Just like a person.”

Map of 'Hands Off' protests in the US on Saturday 5th of April 2025.

D.C. braces for crowds

The largest protest is expected in Washington, D.C., where thousands will gather on the National Mall. Organizers have advised attendees to use public transport, as parking will be tight.

The White House Spring Garden Tours were postponed “out of an abundance of caution,” according to a statement from the First Lady’s office, due to the expected crowds.

Despite the tension, organizers are emphasizing peaceful protest. Training sessions on how to de-escalate potential conflicts with police and counterprotesters were held ahead of the marches.

As of March 29, over 250,000 people had RSVP’d online to attend. In Florida alone, 45 demonstrations are scheduled, including ones near Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate and his private golf club.

The protest wave builds

These protests follow last week’s “Tesla Takedown” rallies at dealerships nationwide and a marathon speech by Senator Cory Booker, who urged Americans to engage in “good trouble,” echoing the late civil rights icon John Lewis.

Even Mike Pence joined the criticism, slamming Trump’s tariff policies as a “massive peacetime tax hike.”

*With information from Protothema.gr and yahoonews.com

TAGS
Cyprus  |  USA  |  golden visa

News: Latest Articles

X