Another suspected case of monkeypox has been found in the Republic of Cyprus, with reports suggesting the government has been keeping information on the down-low to avoid panic over unconfirmed incidents.
A 34-year-old male with unexplained rashes similar to those in monkeypox rushed to the Emergency Room at Paphos General Hospital on Tuesday night and was later transferred to Nicosia General, which operates as a reference hospital for monkeypox.
According to the health ministry, which issued a statement on Wednesday, the man had rashes on his face and torso. He remains isolated pending a series of medical tests.
Hadjipantela, who said an earlier suspected case was not publicized to avoid spreading panic, had turned out to be false alarm
Last week the health ministry went on alert over another suspected case, concerning a 31-year-old female, with the government later saying medical tests showed she had chicken pox.
But it was not until this week that medical consumables for monkeypox were available in the capital.
“The medical consumables for monkeypox have arrived in Cyprus, so now medical tests can take place at the Nicosia hospital,” said health ministry spokesperson Constantinos Athanasiou.
Health Minister Michalis Hadjipantela on Sunday reiterated that Cyprus had in place a response plan for a possible outbreak of monkeypox, including a vaccination rollout.
Hadjipantela, who said an earlier case was not publicized to avoid spreading panic, had turned out to be false alarm, referring to a confirmed case of chicken pox.