Police have tracked down a medical practitioner in Paphos who went missing after he and other individuals were known to have come in contact with a confirmed coronavirus case.
Law enforcement authorities had been looking for 34-year-old Marios Koyioni, described as a Cypriot resident, whose whereabouts were not known since Saturday.
Koyioni, a medical practitioner at Paphos General Hospital, refused to get tested after it emerged that he was among several others who came in contact with an elderly patient who tested positive for the coronavirus.
Reports said the medic will be ordered to take the coronavirus test as a precaution and a matter of public health safety.
Numerous people on staff had come in contact with the elderly patient, who was admitted to hospital back in early February
Paphos General went into lockdown for 48 hours following confirmation of the infection, with hospital officials saying the concern was genuine because numerous people on staff had come in contact with the elderly patient, described as a foreign national, who was hospitalized in early February.
The patient remains in the Intensive Care Unit while no hospital visits will be allowed at Paphos General and non-urgent cases will be referred to the private sector.
It was not immediately clear whether any medical practitioners in contact with the patient had also tested positive.
Police said Koyioni was reported as missing from his residence and asked the public to notify authorities over the phone if they have any information about his whereabouts.
As of Sunday night, there were 41 confirmed cases COVID-19 in Cyprus, including 33 in the south, 6 in the north, with the British Bases also announcing 2 soldiers tested positive.