CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
01 June, 2020
 
Home  /  News

Turkish Cypriots close two crossings

North shuts down two checkpoints as coronavirus pandemic hits island

Newsroom

Turkish Cypriot authorities have shut down two crossings on Thursday for ten days, following the latest developments with the coronavirus pandemic.

According to the Cyprus News Agency, the Turkish Cypriot administration notified the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus of their decision to close two crossings in the buffer zone, Limnitis/ Yesilirmak in the northwest and Strovilia/ Akyar in the east.

The decision was made after a German woman tested positive when she flew to Ercan airport in the north with a group of fellow tourists, as well as news in the south over six confirmed cases, five Greek Cypriots including a taxi driver who did not travel abroad and a Greek woman. Another person was confirmed in the south on Thursday, bringing the total to eight island-wide with the number expetced to rise.

Kudret Ozersay, who is in charge of foreign affairs in the north, made the announcement following an emergency meeting, telling reporters that he notified UNFICYP of the checkpoint closings.

On Wednesday, an official statement in the north said collective crossings by buses carrying over ten individuals from the south for the purpose of tourism or religious pilgrimage would be suspended until Sunday.

Three other crossings remain open at Agios Dometios/Metehan, Ledra Palace, and Pergamos/ Beyarmudu, while remaining checkpoints had been shut down last month by the Republic of Cyprus in the south.

Authorities in the north also expanded the list of countries whose citizens would be banned on inbound flights, while the announcement said Turkish Cypriots coming back from banned countries would need to stay home for 14 days.

TAGS

News: Latest Articles

X