Police say they are still investigating a house fire in Nicosia that took place on Tuesday night, when fire fighters discovered a charred body inside an abandoned property while another man was at the door gasping for air.
According to police, fire fighters were called to an abandoned house in Acropolis on Tuesday night around 9pm, when they saw upon arrival an adult male at the entrance of the property nearly unconscious and gasping for air.
Fire fighters who went inside the home also discovered a charred corpse in another room, police said.
Based on preliminary results following a post mortem exam, police said the individual died after being charred to death, while there were no external injuries
The story was not picked up by the media until Wednesday late afternoon, when Philenews reported that the body of a 65-year-old male had been found in a home near the School for the Blind, while a 60-year-old man was rushed to the Emergency Room with burns and respiratory injuries.
But police on Thursday said the identity of the dead individual was unknown while the injured person was described as a 56-year-old European national.
The injured person was rushed to the Emergency Room at Nicosia General Hospital, where doctors said he had suffered second-degree burns all over his body and inhalation damage to the airways.
Police told Knews on Thursday that the identity of the deceased person was still not known, adding that DNA tests were expected to help confirm his identity.
Based on preliminary results following a post mortem exam, police said the individual died after being charred to death, while there were no external injuries.
Preliminary information in the media indicated the two men were homeless and had been using the property occasionally, adding the use of alcohol and a candle was being suspected.
But police declined to confirm any conclusions, telling Knews the candle possibility was under investigation but still uncorroborated.
The property was inspected by fire department officials joined by law enforcement agents and state engineers, who determined there was no electricity at the property.
According to police, the property owners did not rent out the house to anyone and nobody was living there since 2018.