CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
28 September, 2022
 
Home  /  News

Electrical failure not ruled out in deadly fire

Foreign worker’s unnatural death in rural Nicosia trailer home under police investigation

Newsroom

Fire fighters who responded to a fire in a village in Nicosia district discovered the body of a man inside a mobile home, with sources pointing to a suspected electrical failure around the building.

According to local media, police received a call Monday early morning about a fire in a mobile structure owned by a company in Astromeritis, Nicosia district.

Fire fighters who rushed to the scene minutes earlier found that the flames had already been put out by the owner, who used a fire extinguisher according to local media.

Fire fighters who rushed to the scene found that the flames had already been put out by the owner, who used a fire extinguisher

During an inspection of the shed, fire fighters found the body of a 40-year-old male from Romania, who was described as an employee of the company that owned the structure.

Fire department spokesperson Andreas Kettis told reporters they were investigating whether a halogen heater could be linked to the fire, pointing out the structure included an open zone between the kitchen area and the bedroom where the body was found.

“There was a halogen heater that probably radiated on something flammable,” Kettis said.

But Knews learned on Tuesday morning that an electrical failure was also suspected and not officially ruled out in the incident, after Kettis said a police investigation would also focus on the exterior of the structure.

Police declined to provide details but said they were investigating a case of unnatural death.

A post mortem was scheduled for Tuesday by a state forensic examiner.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  Nicosia  |  Astromeritis  |  fire  |  trailer home  |  Romanian  |  worker  |  electrical failure  |  police  |  fire department

News: Latest Articles

X