Newsroom
Investigations tied to the sitting mayor of Paphos are moving forward, police said Monday, stressing that questioning will happen only when investigators decide the time is right.
Police spokesperson Byron Byronos told the Cyprus News Agency that officers are actively examining the case and will issue updates if developments become public. He pushed back on questions about why the mayor has not yet been called in for testimony, saying that timing depends on investigative needs and evidence gathered.
“When interrogations reach the point where they can be conducted, then they proceed and call,” he said, noting that completing groundwork is a key step before summoning a suspect. He added that in many cases individuals may be questioned more than once as inquiries evolve.
Authorities are currently reviewing several strands of the case, including an ex officio investigation into an alleged assault involving the mayor’s wife, as well as complaints filed by both a businessman and the alleged victim concerning serious offenses.
A separate complaint alleging irregularities within the municipality is now before the legal service for legal review and guidance. The issue surfaced publicly after former auditor general Odysseas Michaelides said on social media that he had submitted a report to police for investigation. Since then, the file has been under legal examination.
Police say the inquiries remain ongoing and that the next steps will depend on what investigators uncover as they work through the evidence.




























