CLOSE
Loading...
22° Nicosia,
16 September, 2019
 
Home  /  News

Alleged rape victim’s car set on fire

Paphos woman who says she was raped twice by her ex boyfriend wakes up to new horror

Newsroom

A car belonging to a Paphos woman, who recently accused her ex boyfriend of raping her twice, was destroyed by fire in what officials believe to be a malicious attack.

According to media reports, the fire broke out on Friday in the early morning hours in Kato Paphos, in the area known colloquially as Universal. Residents reportedly spotted the burning vehicle and notified the authorities.

Fire fighters who rushed to the scene were able to extinguish the fire while extensive damages to the vehicle were reported. An analysis jointly conducted by forensic engineering experts and the fire department, pointed out that the fire was the result of arson.

While authorities had been looking for the suspect, the woman filed a new complaint in early May saying he raped her again

It was later reported that the car belonged to a woman who recently accused her ex boyfriend of rape in two incidents between late April and early May.

The former boyfriend, described as a 24-year-old Greek Cypriot from Episkopi, was arrested last week on rape-related charges. He was then remanded on May 16 for five days.

According to a timeline of events, the second rape allegedly took place after the woman had filed an initial complaint with police. While authorities had been looking for the suspect, the woman filed a new complaint in early May saying he raped her again. An arrest warrant for the accused rapist was officially issued on May 10, according to Cyprus News Agency.

Police told Knews on Friday that a criminal case has already been filed in court against the suspect, who is being held at Central Prisons until the start of the rape trial.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  Paphos  |  arson  |  rape  |  police  |  Episkopi  |  court  |  crime  |  fire

News: Latest Articles

Mevlut Cavusoglu entered the fenced-off town together with Kudret Ozersay and was briefed by the Turkish military

Cavusoglu enters Varosha

In defiance of UN Security Council resolutions 550 and 789, the Turkish Foreign Minister entered Varosha
Andreas Paraschos
 |  NEWS
X