CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
14 June, 2024
 
Home  /  News

ISIS suspected in devastating Kerman blasts

Over 100 dead in suspected terrorist attack

Newsroom

The double explosion, which claimed the lives of at least 103 people on Wednesday near the tomb of General Qasem Soleimani in Kerman, Iran, appears to have been a "terrorist" act of the kind often perpetrated in the past by the jihadist organization Islamic State (ISIS), according to a senior American official, who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity.

The official from President Joe Biden's administration commented that "it appears to have been a terrorist attack, of the kind that ISIS did in the past, this is (...) the working hypothesis we are making as far as I know".

The two explosions took place during a ceremony in memory of General Soleimani, the first about 700 meters from his tomb and the second about a kilometer from the first, according to the official Iranian news agency IRNA. The Iranian state television reported 211 injured, some of whom are in critical condition.

The large crowd gathered there consisted of regime officials and ordinary citizens.

No responsibility has been claimed so far.

Tehran against Israel and the USA
From his side, a political advisor to the Iranian president accused the secret services of Israel and the USA of being behind the explosions in Kerman.

"Washington says that the USA and Israel played no role in the terrorist attack in Kerman, in Iran. Really? The fox can't smell its own smell," said Mohammad Jamsidi via X (formerly Twitter).

"Do not be mistaken. The responsibility for this crime lies with the regime of the USA and the Zionist regime and terrorism is nothing but a tool," he added.

The State Department described as "absurd" any claim of involvement of the USA or Israel in the attack.

The government of Israel, a state that is a sworn enemy of Iran, has not made any public comment on the attack at this stage.

General Soleimani was killed in a US drone strike ordered by then-US President Donald Trump at Baghdad airport in 2020. He was considered the architect of Iranian military operations and the so-called "axis of resistance" in the Middle East.

Condolences Borel
The head of European diplomacy, Josep Borrell, expressed his condolences to the government of Tehran, during his conference with the Iranian foreign minister, after what he himself described as a "terrorist" act.

The High Representative of the EU mentioned via X (formerly Twitter) that he spoke with Iranian Foreign Minister Hussein Amirabdollahian "to express my condolences after the horrific bomb attacks in Kerman, which killed dozens of civilians".

"I condemned this terrorist attack in the strongest possible way and expressed solidarity with the Iranian people," he added.

Conversation Erdogan-Raisi
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had a telephone conference with Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Wednesday night, following the terrorist act in Kerman.

In a press release from the Directorate of Communication of the Turkish presidency, it is mentioned that President Erdogan expressed his condolences to Ebrahim Raisi, "condemned the terrorist attack targeting civilians", stated that "Turkey stands by Iran in the fight against terrorism" and wished "patience to the Iranian people".

The Turkish president reiterated his call to Iran to act jointly in the fight against terrorism.

During the conference, the two leaders also agreed to postpone a scheduled visit of the Iranian president to Turkey for a later date.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  terrorism  |  ISIS  |  explosion  |  Iran  |  world

News: Latest Articles

X