The closure of all schools in Nicosia for three days, a ban on events and gatherings of over 75 people until March 31, as well as an across the board cancellation of all public events such as concerts and parades, are only some of the measures agreed by the Cabinet on Thursday in a bit to contain the coronavirus outbreak on the island.
The meeting, held at the Presidential Palace and chaired by President Nicos Anastasiades, lasted over four hours, during which the Government agreed to extend the closure of four checkpoints until March 18.
The measures agreed by Cabinet:
- The temporary closure of the four checkpoints at Ledra Street, Astromeritis, Lefka, and Deryneia, to be extended.
- A suspension of the operation of schools in Nicosia, including schools of all levels, private and public, for three days.
- A ban on events and other mass gatherings of over 75 people in closed spaces until March 31.
- All public events, gatherings, parade marches, and concerts, to be cancelled.
- Football and other sports matches to be conducted as normal without spectators.
- The Health Minister to be authorized to issue decrees under the Quarantine and Customs Law.
- The Finance Minister authorized to issue a circular in relation to the Public Service
- A revision of guidelines to travellers, in effect from March 10.