CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
29 January, 2022
 
Home  /  News

Strovolos double murder suspects enter plea

Main suspect pleads guilty to seven charges but denies burglary while others plead not guilty

Newsroom

The arraignment of the four suspects in the Strovolos double murder took place Wednesday morning, the main suspect pleading guilty to seven charges before the Nicosia Criminal Court.

The case involves four suspects facing 14 charges in connection with the murder of a married couple in Strovolos, 60-year-old Yiorgos Hadjigeorgiou and his 59-year-old wife Dina Sergiou, who were found savagely stabbed to death in the bedroom of their own home on April 18.

The main suspect, 33-year-old main suspect Loizos Tzionis, admitted seven charges but denied one count of burglary, telling the court the house was left open. Charges included premeditated and consipiracy to commit murder, kidnapping, burglary, breaking and entering, possession of unlawful weapons, among others.

Police told Knews previously that they will take into consideration the results of the second autopsy if they believe it is necessary

During the read out of the eight charges for Tzionis, he was instructed to keep his answers short to either 'yes' or 'no' following his attempt to qualify some of his answers.

Three other suspects, Tzionis’ 21-year-old girlfriend Sara Siams, his 23-year-old half brother Lefteris Solomou, and another 22-year-old male, Marios Hadjixenofondos, all pleaded not guilty.

Tzionis did not go to court with a lawyer while relatives of the victims were screaming at him, shouting “murderer” as he entered the courtroom.

The suspect’s girlfriend had asked not to be seated next to Tzionis but her request was denied.

Crime investigators have collected circumstantial evidence in the case, including DNA samples and other items linked to the main suspect. But they are relying primarily on statements from suspects who are accusing each other as police try to piece back together what actually happened.

Police say they have DNA evidence and depositions linking the suspects to the crime, which is widely believed to have been a robbery gone horribly wrong, while no direct evidence has been found linking any of the suspects directly to the actual murders.

Authorities were heavily criticised in how they handled the case initially, including questions over a second autopsy ordered by the attorney general's office who cited issues of reliability.

Police spokesperson Andreas Angelides told Knews previously that they will take into consideration the result of the second autopsy if they believe it is necessary, adding that they were following every lead in the case and that prosecutors will present evidence during the trial.

The trial continues on October 29.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  Strovolos  |  crime  |  murder  |  police  |  DNA  |  robbery  |  conspiracy  |  knife  |  sword

News: Latest Articles

X