The new citizen hotline that was scheduled to go live on Wednesday failed to impress officials during a final test, after staff failed to expedite calls in a satisfactory manner.
Innovation Deputy Minister Philippos Hadjizacharias told state radio on Wednesday morning that the 1450 hotline would not go live later in the day after it was determined that the company running the operation did not train staff adequately.
Critics say not enough access to personal data in different branches has been given to the call center, while citizen advocates have raised issues over privacy concerns
“Officials joined together and phoned in yesterday to test the system but the responses given to questions were not adequate,” Hadjizacharias said.
The hotline 1450, which got mixed reviews when it operated during the pandemic, was scheduled to go live on Wednesday for two months during a pilot phase as a new call center, staffed with a total of 22 representatives.
But Hadjizacharias, who was appointed digital minister last week by new President Nikos Christodoulides, suggested the previous government had rushed the bidding process.
Former innovation minister Kyriacos Kokkinos had launched the effort after complaints and frustration from the public revealed scores of people who could not get through or even have someone pick up the receiver on the other end.
Hadjizacharias said it was not a problem with Kokkinos but vowed to evaluate the situation before the hotline can be offered to the public.
Critics say not enough access to personal data in different branches has been given to the call center, while citizen advocates have raised issues over privacy concerns.