There was another string of confirmed coronavirus cases this week in the public health sector, with officials in the Republic of Cyprus not ruling out stricter measures to defend those on the front lines.
Speaking on state radio on Thursday, Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou confirmed news that a chief medical officer for both Limassol and Paphos state hospitals was being tested for the Covid-19 disease.
Asked about movement restrictions within the country, Ioannou said 'everything is on the table'
“Such a development would make things a lot worse,” the minister said, with reports saying the medical CEO was moving between Limassol and Paphos.
A pediatrician in Limassol also tested positive while the news of the suspected case came as a setback to what was thought to be a day of some relief on Wednesday, as lab test results from Paphos General Hospital that showed negative started pouring in one after the other.
But twelve cases at Paphos General had already been confirmed positive with the novel coronavirus, including an ICU doctor, eight ICU nursing staff, one cleaner, as well as two elderly patients.
Could be worse in couple of weeks
Asked about movement restrictions within the country, Ioannou said “everything was on the table” while Foreign Minister Nikos Christodoulides said no such discussion had taken place but more measures could be expected on Thursday after an emergency Cabinet meeting.
Christodoulides, who said decisions were being taken based on fast-changing conditions, did not rule out that things could be worse two weeks from now.