Jet2 says it will suspend flights and holidays until at least 23 June citing uncertainty over London’s travel proposals, making the decision yet another British hit on Cyprus tourism expectations.
The chief executive for Jet2, Steve Heapy, was quoted in British media as saying he had been "extremely disappointed at the lack of clarity and detail" in the plans, which were announced overnight by the british government.
"Where customers yet to travel are affected by any programme changes, we will automatically cancel their booking with a full refund, and our team of travel experts will be in touch to help them to book their summer getaway for later in the year," Heapy said.
A traffic light framework proposed by the government included making all UK arrivals take pre-departure and post-arrival COVID-19 tests when international travel was expected to resume on 17 May.
The British transport secretary refused to confirm whether May 17 was a solid date that would mark Britons traveling overseas without having to self-isolate upon their return
But British Transport Secretary Grant Shapps refused to confirm whether May 17 was a solid date that would mark Britons traveling overseas without having to self-isolate upon their return.
Post-arrival tests costing to the tune of £120 also prompted a backlash from the travel industry.
Last month the Cypriot government made a decision to allow British vaccinated tourists on May 1 to fly in without any restrictions if they have been vaccinated against COVID-19.
But Tourism Deputy Minister Savvas Perdios had made it clear that it would be up to individual foreign governments to have the final word.
The health ministry’s epidemiological unit issued a modified risk-based classification of countries that went into effect on April 1.