CLOSE
Loading...
22° Nicosia,
22 September, 2019
 
Home  /  News

Dad faces life sentence over son's death

Prosecution and defence gear up as Romanian couple faces charges in the death of their infant son

Newsroom

A Romanian couple in Paphos is facing homicide and manslaughter charges following the death of their baby infant, with the father reportedly saying he gave false initial statements out of fear of losing custody of his other children.

(Click here for an update to the story)

The defence lawyer told the court that the mother had told police investigators that she had video showing her son was alive after the fall

A 29-year-old father is facing negligent homicide charges in connection with the death of his three-month-old baby boy, who died of head trauma days after he was dropped onto the floor in February 2018 in Timi village.

The man initially told police the baby fell from the sofa but forensic examiners later determined the fatal head injury was far more severe. The dad eventually admitted to police investigators that he dropped the baby accidently as he was coming down a metal spiral staircase in the home.

Prosecutors are also charging the mother with negligent manslaughter. The 29-year-old woman was initially arrested but later set free on conditions. Her lawyer told the court on Tuesday that his client had told police investigators last year that she had video showing her son was alive after the fall.

The couple have two other young children according to media reports. If convicted beyond reasonable doubt on negligent homicide, the father could face up to life imprisonment. Both the prosecutor and the defence attorney agreed to a 20-day timeframe to prepare and summarize uncontested evidence.

The next hearing has been scheduled for April 18, with reports saying the presiding criminal judge was not available prior to that date.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  Romania  |  father  |  baby  |  drop  |  death  |  homicide  |  manslaughter  |  negligence  |  custody  |  police

News: Latest Articles

X