CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
24 June, 2024
 
Home  /  News

Paphos: Vacation tragedy linked to medical mishap

Daughter discovers father's untimely death

Newsroom

"The bottled water he drank in Paphos (combined with the inadequate medical care he received) was the reason for the infection that caused his death." This is the conclusion of the coroner's inquest into the death of 63-year-old Colin Greenway from the UK, who was on vacation in our country with his wife and two children.

According to a report in the "Daily Mail," when he returned to his country, he continued to feel unwell and went to a hospital in Swaffham seeking treatment. There, it was discovered that he had an infectious disease called campylobacter. The virus is associated with consuming untreated water or undercooked meat and seafood.

The doctor who examined him prescribed half the usual dose of a medication used to reduce the risk of blood clots, which resulted in his death four days later from a pulmonary embolism. His unfortunate daughter found him dead.

"I received a phone call and was told they found their dad dead in bed. I screamed. I was in shock! My whole world ended when he died. I never got to say goodbye. It's heart-wrenching."

As mentioned in the report, during his hospital stay, his prescription was not checked by a senior clinical doctor, consultant, or pharmacist. The error was discovered when his retired doctor's wife wondered if he had received the correct dose.

Speaking to the newspaper about that tragic day when her husband died, Sue said, "I received a phone call and was told they found their dad dead in bed. I screamed. I was in shock! My whole world ended when he died. I never got to say goodbye. It's heart-wrenching."

After an investigation into Colin's death, the coroner warned that other people could die if the hospital does not improve its approach.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  water  |  Paphos  |  death

News: Latest Articles

Facebook photo

Donald Sutherland dead at 88

The prolific actor, who appeared in many well known movies and TV shows, died in Miami after a long illness
Newsroom
 |  NEWS
X