Health Minister Michael Hadjipantelas warned that if we are not careful, we could open a new can of worms by sneaking in the multi-insurance plan that no one wants. Hadjipantelas made reference to the court's decision from yesterday, which scheduled a new hearing for November 24 to determine whether or not to suspend the rule that forbids GESY beneficiaries from receiving inpatient medical care from physicians who are not GESY registered. Hadjipantelas said no extension will be given to the affected doctors.
The Health Minister was asked if there were any issues or if they had been informed that surgeries were canceled following yesterday's development about doctors outside the GESY after a press conference on Friday at the conclusion of the awards ceremony for transplanted athletes who participated in the 11th European Games for Transplanted and Hematopoietic Athletes. The Minister responded that for 12 months this Attorney General's opinion has been in place "and we have all been aware of it."
"An extension from September 1 to November 1 has already been granted, and another three days have been added." So it was up to the doctors and nurses to schedule any appointments they had on those days," he added.
"An additional three days have been added to the existing extension from September 1 to November 1. Therefore, it was the doctors' and nursing homes' responsibility to schedule any appointments they had on those days, the doctor continued.
When asked if there is a chance that the Ministry of Health will grant an extension until November 24, the Health Minister responded that there is no chance of this happening. "But at the same time, we all have to be careful, I mentioned this yesterday, because we can talk about how this issue only affects 20 doctors, but if we are not careful we can open the can of worms and bring in the multi-insurance that no one wants through the back door," the Health Minister added.
The Health Minister stated that if there is no staffing, the matter will be handled by the OKYPY. "I will wait for a briefing from the OKYPY, and if the Health Ministry needs to take action or we need to take initiatives, we will," he said.
The Health Minister said that there are two demands for the meeting with the resident doctors. He stated that one request concerned the workload.
"I think the problem will be resolved right away. In order to ensure that their working hours are in accordance with the contracts, a letter will still be sent directly from the Ministry of Health; if it is not sent today, it will be sent on Monday. We are awaiting word from them regarding some of the increases they are requesting. We have some ideas, and I'm hoping that common sense will prevail and we can come up with the best solution," he said concluded.
[This article was translated from its Greek original]