As of October 1, 2022, single-use plastics products will no longer be available for sale or use in Cyprus. According to the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment the reduction, and eventual ban, on the sale and use of single-use plastic products is to reduce the impact these products have on the environment.
The ban specifically includes the following plastic products:
5. Drink stirrers
6. Sticks to which balloons are attached
7. Food containers made of expanded polystyrene, i.e. containers such as boxes, with or without a lid, in which food is packaged and are:
(1) are intended for immediate consumption either on-site or outside the store;
(2) are usually consumed from the container; and
(3) are ready for consumption without further preparation, such as cooking, boiling, or heating; including containers used for fast food meals or other ready-to-eat meals;
8. Beverage containers of expanded polystyrene and their lids and covers
9. Expanded polystyrene cups and their lids and covers.
10. oxo-degradable plastics which are also prohibited from sale
These single-use plastic products will be available and can be used up until September 30, 2022, in order to allow an adjustment time for consumers and businesses, in addition, it will give businesses that use these products to use up their stocks.
Consequently, all supermarkets, hospitality and catering facilities, fast food restaurants and other retail outlets are requested to take all the necessary actions to ensure that these products are not made available for sale and consumption after the date set by the Law, which is September 30, 2022.
Violators will be fined a minimum of €4,000, with a maximum penalty of €20,000 for more serious violations.