Five out of twelve Israeli teenagers were released on Thursday after police investigators found no evidence that would warrant their further detention in the Ayia Napa gang rape case.
The five males, all in their late teens, were among twelve suspects remanded in custody last week over allegations of gang rape, after a 19-year-old British girl filed a complaint with Famagusta police.
Earlier this week, it became apparent that some teens may not have taken part in the alleged incident
Police last week said they had forensic evidence, including DNA and phone records, linking the suspects to the alleged incident said to have taken place in a hotel room. The girl told investigators she was having sex with one suspect when suddenly others barged in, raping her and sexually assaulting her as others were laughing and recording video.
Reports said DNA evidence was in the hands of the police this week, while it was not clear whether phone forensic tests had been completed. A police lineup was also scheduled this week in order for the rape accuser to pick suspects.
But earlier this week, as the investigation went on, reports suggested that it became apparent some teens may not have taken part in the alleged incident. Two suspects reportedly admitted having sex with the alleged victim but maintain it was consensual. One of those two suspects reportedly had a relationship with the girl, who came from Britain on vacation and found work at a local club.
Five suspects have been released and on their way back home, in Israel, while seven other suspects are expected to appear on Friday for possibly another remand hearing.
According to Israeli media, one of the freed suspects heading back to his country said he got justice.
“This is justice, I’m not guilty and that’s it,” he said.