A 6-year-old girl in Paphos was electrocuted when she touched an electric live wire that had been left hanging from a utility pole.
The Cyprus Electricity Authority (EAC) confirmed the incident on Wednesday, where a girl from Syria went into electric shock in Chloraka.
Local reports said the girl touched an electric live wire that was left exposed on a utility pole next to her family’s house.
Upon touching the wire, the little girl went into electric shock, reports said.
According to protocols, an official is required to physically guard any exposed wire that is not electrically earthed until EAC crews arrive
The child was rushed to Paphos General Hospital where she was treated in the Emergency Room. She is reportedly doing fine and her health condition is out of danger.
Knews understands the live wire was coming from a nearby structure that was recently completed but the current had not been grounded.
Reports later said an EAC crew went to the new residence and isolated the wire.
EAC spokesperson Christina Papadopoulou said on state radio Wednesday morning that the incident is being investigated.
“Crews follow all security protocols, and this is a priority for EAC,” Papadopoulou said.
She also told Kathimerini Cyprus that an official statement regarding the circumstances of the incident will be provided following the completion of the investigation, adding that EAC will be ready to take any necessary measures.
According to protocols, an official is required to physically guard any exposed wire that is not electrically earthed until EAC crews arrive.
In case a cable is discovered to be hanging low or left exposed, EAC or police must be notified immediately.