12° Nicosia,
01 December, 2022
Home  /  News

Travel adaptor sold in Cyprus could electrocute someone

Importer voluntarily moves to pull multi socket adaptor off Cypriot shelves


Cyprus authorities warn the public over an electrical travel adaptor, saying it fails to comply with safety guidelines and could cause electric shock.

(Click here for an update to the story)

The government says it discovered that a multi socket adaptor, found in the local market, was being sold without complying to safety regulations, specifically the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) (2014/35/EU).

Officials say the adaptor could cause electric shock.

The importer, by Chryso & Co Ltd, is voluntarily pulling the item off the shelves, according to CNA News Agency.

The LVD (2014/35/EU) ensures that electrical equipment within certain voltage limits provides a high level of protection for European citizens, by making available on the market electrical equipment designed for use within certain voltage limits.

The Republic of Cyprus is responsible for implementing and enforcing the LVD, as countries transpose the provisions of EU directives into their own national legislation.

The LVD applies to a wide range of electrical equipment for both consumer and professional usage, such as, household appliances, cables, power supply units, laser equipment,as well as certain components such as fuses.

EU legislation in the electrical sector is important to ensure that health and safety requirements are the same across Europe for products placed on the market.


Cyprus  |  consumer  |  electrical  |  appliance  |  adaptor  |  outlet  |  electrocution  |  electric shock  |  product  |  recall  |  Chryso  |  LVD  |  travel

News: Latest Articles