Police have removed an Indian man from their wanted list in connection with a fatal incident in Nicosia, saying there was no evidence implicating him in any crimes.
Following a fatal incident in old Nicosia, where a 21-year-old Indian male was killed and two others were wounded, a number of arrest warrants had been issued, resulting to two arrests and a number of male suspects, all Indian nationals, wanted by authorities.
But police say during the course of the investigation, 32-year-old Amrit Bhinder from India was found not to have been implicated in any offences including possible murder charges.
But police said Bhinder was shown not to have been implicated in the incident, adding that investigators were no longer seeking his arrest
Bhinder was one of the first two suspects whose arrest warrants were ordered by a district judge, after prosecutors presented evidence of his possible involvement in committing a crime.
But on Tuesday, police said Bhinder was shown not to have been implicated in the incident, adding that investigators were no longer seeking his arrest.
It was not clear whether the arrest warrant had been issued in error or due to mistaken identity, but police said there was “no evidence implicating the 32-year-old in the offences currently under investigation.”
A total of five other men were still wanted by police while two suspects were already in custody in connection with the fatal incident, which took place on June 21 in downtown Nicosia.
The incident was described as a violent confrontation between about 15 Indian men who got into a fight on or near Onasagorou street that later spilled into adjacent streets in the wailed city.
Five suspects still wanted according to police: (for updated list, click here)
Lovepreet Singh, 24
Puran Dass, 23
Pawan Singh, 29
Hartej Singh Warraich, 30
Amritpal Singh, 24