CLOSE
Loading...
32° Nicosia,
16 June, 2019
 
Home  /  News

Woman injured in Nicosia explosion

Fire and explosion in Strovolos blamed on gas leak in a cooking appliance

Newsroom

A fire broke out following an explosion at a residence in Strovolos, with one person taken to the Emergency Room.

Fire fighters responded to an emergency call Thursday morning, around 7:53am, about a fire on the ground floor of a three-storey residential building on Thali Street.

Two fire trucks from Nicosia’s Acropolis firehouse rushed to the scene and managed to contain the fire at 8:33am.

The fire was caused following an explosion inside the lodging area of a housemaid, who was injured and taken to the Emergency Room at Nicosia General Hospital. No information about her condition was made available or whether she was released from hospital.

Preliminary findings showed there was a gas leak from a cooking appliance, which caused the explosion and the ensuing fire. There were also damages to a vehicle parked outside as well as an adjacent shed that was used as tool storage.

TAGS
Cyprus  |  Nicosia  |  fire  |  explosion  |  gas  |  housemaid  |  Strovolos  |  hospital

News: Latest Articles

Slain 6-year-old girl found in Cyprus two months after her mother’s body was discovered in a mine shaft

Body found in Memi Lake

Slain girl found in Cyprus two months after mother’s body was discovered in a mine shaft
Newsroom
 |  NEWS
Kotzias signed the Prespes agreement with Skopje when he was foreign minister.

SYRIZA, Kotzias-led movement part ways

In a statement, Pratto said SYRIZA had adopted a stance “that does not reflect our joint actions and struggles over the ...
Kathimerini Greece Newsroom
 |  NEWS
X