CLOSE
Loading...
12° Nicosia,
07 July, 2020
 
Home  /  News

Student suffers electric shock at school

High school student electrocuted trying to reach inside a metal box, mother claims wires were exposed

Newsroom

A high school student was admitted to hospital after he was electrocuted while trying to reach inside a metal box where a light switch for the toilet was said to be located. 

According to local media, a 14-year-old male student was admitted to Makarios Children’s Hospital in Nicosia after suffering minor burns by way of electrocution at his high school in Nicosia.

Initial reports said the boy went to switch on the light in the toilet when he was suddenly electrocuted. The student was rushed to the Emergency Room at Nicosia General Hospital, where doctors decided to defer the young patient to the state’s children’s hospital.

Additional reports said a broken switch was inside a metal box, which students would often open and close it but it was unclear whether a light switch for the toilets was located inside the box

Preliminary reports said the mother of the student claimed that the electrical installations at the school needed to be checked for faulty electrical wiring. Unconfirmed reports said the particular electrical wire at the light switch in question was faulty, according to the mother.

Knews could not follow up on the information but other media outlets said the wire was exposed.

Additional reports later said a broken switch was inside a metal box, which students would often open and close it. It was unclear whether the light switch for the toilets was located inside the box.

The student was treated overnight and said to be out of any danger.

Story has been updated with information about a metal box

TAGS

News: Latest Articles

X