The autopsy on a 39-year-old man from Paralimni, who was found dead on New Year’s Day, has revealed that he choked on his own vomit.
According to media reports, the body of Xenios Mavroudis from Paralimni was discovered by his parents who went to check on him in the morning on New Year’s Day.
Local reports initially said Mavroudis was suffering from a health condition, alluding to pathological causes. But an official post mortem on Wednesday showed that the man died of pulmonary aspiration, after food and vomit were breathed into his lungs.
Mavroudis is the fourth victim to die during holiday celebrations this winter, after three others in Limassol passed away in separate incidents
Medical experts say people can aspirate and develop pneumonia if food or drink “goes down the wrong way” regardless of having regular gag reflexes. While coughing can help prevent fatal incidents, exceptions include cases such as neurological disorders, a weakened immune system, or excessive use of alcohol.
Mavroudis is the fourth victim to die during holiday celebrations this winter, after three others in Limassol passed away in separate incidents.
According to studies, people have a greater chance of dying on Christmas, the day after Christmas or New Year's Day than any other single day of the year.
Mavroudis, a beloved local who was active in his community, was thought to have had health issues, but no details were made known. He had his birthday a couple of days before he passed away.